As you may have noticed, the top bar on this site (and every other Stack Exchange site) has a new icon button that looks like an ice crystal. This button is available for the duration of Winter Bash, a yearly event during which you can earn "hats" by participating in the site.
Below are a few examples of hats you can earn:
- "Gonna Find Out": vote 150 times (this would do our site much good).
- "Six Cornered Hat": earn the Necromancer badge.
- "Rep Hunter": five accepted answers in one day (very difficult on our site).
- "Pizza Hat": answer +3 a question with accepted answer.
- "Identification Division": earn a silver badge (definitely feasible here).
- "Explorer": accepted answer with no votes.
- "Silencium": question with no answers for a week (this can definitely happen on our site).
There are many other hats and a few secret hats (which Stack Exchange users quickly figure out). When you earn a hat, you can position it over your avatar. Of course, participation in this "hatarchy" is entirely optional; you can opt out (and opt in again) at any time.
Winter Bash 2018 will end on 1 January 2019, after which all hats will disappear and everything will return to normal.
There is also a leaderboard for our site.
Bounty for the best answer
There will be a 100 rep bounty for the best answer submitted to the main site during Winter Bash 2108. After the hats have disappeared, you can nominate exemplary answers in responses to this question. Please submit one response per nomination and vote on the submitted nominations. The nomination with the highest number of votes will get the 100 rep bounty.
(Glorfindel's answer was submitted before this update was posted; votes on that answer are obviously not relevant to the bounty.)