We currently have two tags for — probably — the same thing:

The older tag is currently defined as follows:

A language learning process involving mutual language exchange in which both partners are fluent in the language the other partner wants to learn.

The newer tag is defined as:

Questions related to learning a language by regularly communicating with a native (or near-native) speaker of your target language, whom you help learning your native language. Also known as tandem learning.

Should we merge the definitions and make one tag a synonym of the other?

  • Good find! As Hatchet mentioned, language exchange is the more used term, so it's best to make tandem learning a synonym of language exchange.
    – fi12
    Dec 26, 2016 at 18:43
  • Apparently, this has been done now: tandem-learning is now marked as a synonym for language-exchange.
    – Tsundoku Mod
    Dec 26, 2016 at 21:03

1 Answer 1


Since is the more widely known term (try Googling each term), it should take precedence.

  • @Flimzy Wikipedia has an article on tandem language learning and one on language exchange. The latter says that, "Language exchange is sometimes called Tandem language learning.". And funnily enough, only the latter links to the German article Tandem (Sprachlernmethode). So is one of these the "technical term"?
    – Tsundoku Mod
    Dec 28, 2016 at 23:50
  • @ChristopheStrobbe shrug As the change has already been made, I don't think there's any reason to change, regardless of which term is more "technical".
    – Flimzy
    Dec 29, 2016 at 18:22

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .